Thanks to Len.
An Alberta pediatric neurologist and researcher specializing in epilepsy and neurocritical care tells the medical board why he will not take the vaccine. Long but very well researched.
September 14, 2021
College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA) Council
2700 – 10020 100 Street NW
Edmonton, AB Canada T5J 0N3
Dear CPSA council members,
RE: Mandatory mRNA vaccine mandate for Alberta physicians
Thank you for allowing me to listen Friday morning during council’s discussion on a vaccine mandate for Alberta physicians. Let me please provide the perspective of a physician who loves his job, cares deeply about his patients, and continues to avoid the mRNA vaccines. I am a pediatric neurologist and researcher specializing in epilepsy and neurocritical care at Alberta Children’s Hospital (ACH). I have a Master of Public Health from Harvard University and before returning to ACH in February 2020, I spent 6 years on staff at Mayo Clinic where I developed expertise in neuroinflammation. Both medical school and pediatric neurology residency were completed here in Calgary.
I am also a father of 3 young children and remain very much pro-vaccine. While I refuse to take this novel experimental mRNA therapy, my wife, children, and I are completely vaccinated, including yearly flu shots. This is not a contradictory stance as these current mRNA vaccines represent a dramatic departure from using, for instance, live attenuated viruses. Rather, they represent a completely novel and experimental therapy with no long-term data. Consider that the CDC just updated the definitions of immunity and vaccine on September 1, 2021 – 13 days ago -swapping out the prior “produce immunity” to “provide protection” (1).
On August 31, 2021, AHS President and CEO Dr. Verna Yiu, issued a vaccine mandate to all staff, physicians and volunteers stating, “workers are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, by October 31, 2021”. I am now faced with the impending possibility of “an unpaid Leave of Absence to allow for compliance”. I am so disappointed by this extreme AHS coercion, and truly hope that the CPSA will steer clear of mandating this as a condition of my license.
You briefly covered the legal aspects during your meeting and a vaccine mandate would certainly appear
Despite only 3.6% of Alberta physicians continuing to avoid these shots, I appreciate that council remains concerned that an “unvaccinated” physician might spread SARS-CoV-2, resulting in possible patient harm and lawsuits to the CPSA. However, by forcing compliance based on the current data, you would be stepping on the bedrock principles of medical ethics – especially patient autonomy. The willingness to trample individual legal and moral rights in the name of perceived communal benefits, is not justified by the current medical science and will cause predictable and unpredictable harms.
The medical evidence demonstrates that the effectiv
• The initial randomized controlled clinical trial for thePfizer/BioNtech mRNA vaccine (BNT162b2), suggested 95% protection against COVID-19, as defined by their primary endpoint “efficacy of the vaccine against laboratory confirmed Covid-19 and [2 month] safety”. This was funded by BioNTech and Pfizer (5, 6). The initial randomized controlled clinical trial for the Moderna mRNA vaccine (mRNA-1273) showed 94.
• As the virus continued to expectedly
• Recently, Alberta Chief Medical Examiner of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, shared evidence and publicly acknowledged that we cannot eradicate COVID-19 and are rather transitioning from a COVID-19 pandemic to endemic (8). This, despite widespread adherence to severe social restrictions including lockdowns, mandatory masks, prolonged quarantines, repeated testing and school closures, and the widespread
(2) Is it really the unvaccinated driving SARS-CoV-
• The argument that those without a COVID-19 vaccine are driving mutations then depends on the notion that if we could achieve herd immunity or eradicate the virus more quickly, we would limit its ability to mutate, which all coronaviruses naturally do. However, this second argument fails given our inability to eradicate SARS-CoV-2 through vaccines, including our inability to vaccinate enough people and animal reservoirs globally to achieve herd immunity (13-15). Moreover, as shown below, the current mRNA shots no longer prevent transmission and COVID-19 vaccinated individuals are comprising an ever-increasing
• A group of international experts recently stated In the New England Journal Medicine, “viral variants of concern may emerge with dangerous resistance to the immunity generated by the current vaccines” (19). Among their recommendations were: “avoid the use of treatments with uncertain benefit that could drive the evolution of variants; and consider targeted vaccination strategies to reduce community transmission”(19).
(3) As the effectiveness of mRNA vaccines to prevent transmission and severe disease continues to diminish –the medical narrativ
• On July 30, 2021, the CDC director confirmed that “Delta infection resulted in similarly high SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in vaccinated and unvaccinated people. High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus” (20).
• On August 6, 2021, CDC Director Dr. Walensky stated on CNN: “Our vaccines are working exceptionally well. They continue to work well for Delta, with regard to severe illness and death — they prevent it. But what they can’t do anymore is prevent transmission” (21).
• On August 19, 2021, the CDC issued a joint statement advocating for COVID-19 booster shots, citing evidence that despite full mRNA vaccination, patients were experiencing “reduced protection against mild and moderate disease”(20). This included a very recent U.S. national nursing home prospective observational
• A Mayo Clinic Health Systems observational cohort study showed that in July 2021 during a period in Minnesota where the delta variant prevalence surged from 0.7% to 70% and the alpha strain decreased from 85% to 13%, the effectiveness against hospitalization remained high for Moderna – 81% (95%CI: 33-96.3%) and Pfizer/BioNtech – 75% (95%CI: 24-93.9%) (15). However, effectiveness against infection was lower for Moderna – 76%, (95%CI: 58-87%); and Pfizer/BioNtech – at only 42% (95%CI: 13-62%). Note that all COVID-19 vaccines approved by WHO and FDA are required to have an efficacy rate of 50% or above (24, 25).
• On July 23, 2021, Israel’s Health Ministry indicated that a complete course of the Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccine was just 39% effective at preventing infections and 41% effective at preventing symptomatic illness with the Delta variant but remained 91% effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalization (27). However, by August 16, 2021, and despite having 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, 59% of gravely ill patients in Israel were fully vaccinated(28).
(4) Natural immunity from SARS-CoV-2 is more durable and robust than the partial immunity achieved from the current mRNA vaccines.
• Intuitively, one would predict that our immune systems would generate a more complete, robust, and prolonged immune response to SARS-CoV-2, rather than the mRNA vaccines. Indeed, after about 6 months of progressively decreasing mRNA vaccine effectiveness, some governments are already mandating boosters with seemingly no end in sight (29). In contrast, those individuals with asymptomatic and symptomatic infections developed a robust immune response to the entire virus (including the nucleocapsid), as opposed to only partial immunity derived through mRNA vaccines towards the s protein.
• A recent Nature paper showed that 17 years after the 2003SARS outbreak, long-lasting memory T cells were still present to the nucleocapsid (n protein) in those infected with SARS-CoV, AND these T-cells displayed a robust cross-reactivity to the N protein of SARS-CoV-2 (16).
• Another recent Nature paper showed memory B cell response to SARS-CoV-2 evolves between 1.3 and 6.2 months after infection in a manner consistent with antigen persistence, evidenced by titres of IgM and IgG antibodies against the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein (30).
• A very recent large observational Israeli study co
• Extremely low reinfection rates have been observed since pandemic onset. For instance, “with a total of 835,792 Israelis known to have recovered from the virus, the 72 instances of reinfection amount to 0.0086% of people who were already infected with COVID (32).
• Yet, we are using coercion to force individuals to take mRNA vaccines even if they have already had a prior COVID-19 infection, and even if they can provide lab confirmation of sustained immunity.
• Perhaps at minimum, we could assess for evidence of persistent immunity BEFORE we force EVERYONE to take the shot, especially among young healthy populations. At present, we have only 6-month longitudinal adult data to inform risks beyond the acute injection period.
(5) From a long-term safety perspective, these novel mRNA vaccines should be treated as guilty until proven otherwise, especially in low-risk groups.
• No crystal ball exists to predict long-term risks. Do you recall when we received emails from leadership re-assuring us that all 3 shots, including Astra Zeneca, were safe, only to have it recalled a few months later? Do you remember when mRNA vaccines were not associated with myocarditis/pericarditis in male adolescents (33)?
• Do you want to mandate these experimental mRNA vaccines despite the lack of long-term data? Perhaps there are certain vulnerable adult and pediatric groups who will prove to endure higher risk over time from the shots rather than from the virus itself?
• Consider a young healthy woman who is coerced by AHS to take the experimental shot, and over the next few years it becomes clear that these “vaccines” are associated with fertility issues in some women? Crazy?
• The vaccine companies and medical officials have repeatedly claimed that when we are injected with these mRNA vaccines, the lipid nanopartic
• In a recent prospective (December 2020 to March 2021) pilot study of 13 healthcare workers (≥ 18 years, mean age 24 years) at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard investigators obtained longitudinal plasma samples of SARS-CoV-2 proteins from participants who received two doses of mRNA-1273 vaccine (Moderna), and lacked a prior history of SARS-Cov-2 illness. These antigens
• After the first dose, the mRNA-1273 produced detectable levels of S1 antigen in plasma in 11 participants, and spike antigen was detected in 3 of 13 participants, an average of 15 days post first injection. Protein clearance