Download On Transformative Awareness here: https://goldenageofgaia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Transformative-Awareness-9.pdf
I was in the course of updating, expanding, and polishing Transformative Awareness when I came across a reference to “going above the line.”
I made a footnote in the text and the footnote rapidly became an article. Let me explain the term and, in the course of doing so, also explain the wider term, transformative awareness.
“Above the line” is an est term for moving internally from a state of unconscious awareness to a state of conscious awareness. We go above an imaginary line separating unconscious awareness from conscious awareness. We are “above the line.” We now use the term “awakening” to do the same work.
It can happen as a result of an “Aha!” or realization or it can happen as the result of telling the truth at a very deep level, taking a stand, declaring oneself, making an important promise, etc.
Somewhere I have a list of ways to presence the Self or go above the line. I’ll enter it in a footnote. (1)
It’s really what we mean when we say we “woke up.” We use that term nowadays to relate to awakening on a single issue whereas it originally meant awakening from one state of consciousness to another.
This movement from unconscious to conscious awareness Werner called transformation and it’s an event in awareness; hence my use of the term “Transformative Awareness.”
OK, having said that, let me now hook it up to the purpose of life and I’ll let it be at that.
The purpose of all life is that God should meet God in a moment of our enlightenment. “O thou I,” said Bayazid in the moment of realization. Was it Bayzid speaking or was it God? (2)
What is that an event in? Awareness. We distinguish out the Real from the not real. We discriminate. Discriminating is an event in consciousness. Another name for consciousness is awareness.
It’s our awareness that will carry us across the bridge of separation. It’s our awareness that will unlock love and everything else in its train.
We don’t have to be Olympic athletes or Einsteins (forgive me, Albert). All of us are, were, and always will be aware. We just need to sharpen it and use it wisely and without judgment. The design of life will take care of the rest. (3)
Footnotes to follow
Download On Transformative Awareness here: https://goldenageofgaia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Transformative-Awareness-9.pdfTransformative Awareness 9
(1) Ways to Presence the Self
The short form
To Emerge, Unfold
1. Share yourself; tell the truth; say what’s so.
2. Share a withhold; expose yourself.
3. Wake up; be with someone; get present.
4. Take a stand; declare and commit yourself; recommit to your commitment.
5. Serve; make a difference; do something that really matters.
To Return to Wholeness, Integrity
1. Be with it; sit with it like a brick in your lap; fully experience it; complete a barrier or an experience.
2. Be responsible for something you’re disowning.
3. Clean up a perpetration; apologize; come clean; make amends
4. Stop avoiding something you’re avoiding.
5. Get it, get off it, and get on with it; recreate it and get past it.
6. Forgive a perpetration.
7. Come from love.
(2) “I went from God to God, until they cried from me in me, ‘O thou I!'” (Bayazid of Bistun in Aldous Huxley, The Perennial Philosophy. New York, etc.: Harper and Row, 1970; c1944, 12.)
(3) “At a certain point, when we have done all we can [to bring about an abiding union with the divine], the divine steps in and takes over.” (Bernadette Roberts, “The Path to No-Self” in Stephan Bodian, ed. Timeless Visions, Healing Voices. Freedom, CA: Crossing Press, 1991, 131.)
“Your efforts can extend only thus far. Then the Beyond will take care of itself. You are helpless there. No effort can reach it.” (Sri Ramana Maharshi, Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Question 197. Downloaded from https://www.ramana-maharshi.org/books.html, 31 August 2005.)