Waiting for Our Cosmic Family (Part 1/3): Review of News Events Relevant to Disclosure and Open Contact, 2011
Hui Sun, Bridge to Earth, December 19, 2011 |
The year 2011 is coming to a close. It’s a good time to look back and review some of the news events relevant to disclosure and open contact that took place this year. By “disclosure,” I mean the public announcement by our governments of our involvement with extraterrestrial beings. By “open contact,” I mean the meeting of extraterrestrial beings and the general Earth human population in a way that is currently perceivable, understandable, and customary to the general Earth human population (openly and through the five physical senses).
Please note that I present here a short, subjective list of selected events which jumped out at me. A more comprehensive list may be found on The Paradigm Research Group’s online media archive. Of course, all these events are only those that are open to the “public eye” through commonly-accessible information media.
- January 22-25, 2011. The 5th Annual Global Competitiveness Forum in Saudi Arabia hosts an unconventional panel discussion on Contact: What We Can Learn from Outer Space? featuring presentations by five “UFO experts” (Zoaghloul El-Naggar, Stanton Friedman, Michio Kaku, Nick Pope, and Jacques Vallee). [1,2] This conference, attended by some of the world’s most prominent figures in both business and politics, is hosted by the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority, which is dedicated to supporting investors and investments in Saudi Arabia. The following is a video of Dr. Kaku’s presentation at the meeting (please click here to see presentations of all five speakers):
- Feb. 13, 2011. Discussions from the meeting held by The Royal Society on Jan. 25-26 of last year, on the topic The Detection of Extra-terrestrial Life and the Consequences for Science and Society, are published in a dedicated issue of the scientific journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A (Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 13 February 2011 vol. 369 no. 1936). The Royal Society is a UK-based scientific society of some of the world’s most eminent scientists and the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence, and currently acts as a scientific advisor to the British government. Philosophical Transactions is the world’s oldest scientific journal, having published the works of scientists such as Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Michael Faraday, and Charles Darwin.
- February 24, 2011. Aerospace consultant Dr. Carol Rosin announces the Outer Space Security and Development Treaty of 2011 developed by her and her colleagues, including astronaut Dr. Edgar Mitchell, to ban all space-based weapons.  The treaty “establishes a framework and procedures to assure that space will be a neutral realm from which all classes of weapons are banned and from which no hostile action shall be taken toward Earth or the surrounding Cosmos.” It explicitly “acknowledges that we are not alone in the universe, that there are Cosmic Cultures that will be important allies for our security and development, and that our national and international policies must reflect this reality.”
- February 26, 2011. The Nation of Islam, one of the most influential Black Nationalist religious organizations in the U.S., hosts a discussion on The Truth About the Existence of Unidentified Flying Objects at its Nation of Islam’s Saviour’s Day 2011 Convention.
- [Note that this meeting follows the conference held by the Vatican’s Pontifical Academy of Sciences a little over a year earlier (November 2009) on the detection and implications of intelligent extraterrestrial life.]
- March 4, 2011. NASA scientist Dr. Richard B. Hoover publishes in the Journal of Cosmology the finding of micro-fossils of extraterrestrial bacterial life inside a rare class of meteorites.
- April 7, 2011. The United States releases its UFO files through the new electronic reading room on its FBI website: The Vault.[7,8] Among the UFO files on The Vault are reports from the 1940s and 1950s describing “flying saucers” recovered in New Mexico, containing “bodies of human shape.” The U.S. action follows the public release of formerly-classified UFO files by Mexico, Brazil, UK, France, Denmark, Canada, Russia, and New Zealand.
- April 23, 2011. The U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) releases its UFO files, following FBI’s release. Among the documents released is a technical article titled Key To the Extraterrestrial Messages that describes the key to decoding the series of radio messages that have been received from outer space.
- July 8, 2011. Three missile technicians are reported to claim that last October’s power outage that disabled U.S. Air Force control center’s communication with 50 of its nuclear missiles (one-ninth of the U.S. nuclear arsenal) coincided with the appearance of a large, cigar-shaped UFO high above the missile field.
- Aug and September 2011. The Mutual UFO Network (MUFON), the largest privately funded UFO research organization in the world, reports an increase in UFO sightings in recent times– an increase of 67% this past year compared to three years ago , and a significant increase this summer, with some states more than doubling their normal numbers. 
- August 25, 2011. The History Channel documentary Secret Access: UFOs On The Record examines the UFO evidence presented in the New York Times bestseller book UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record, published last year by investigative journalist Leslie Kean. The book includes written statements from five generals, a former governor, and military UFO witnesses, and a forward by John Podesta, former Clinton White House Chief of Staff; and has been endorsed by physicist Michio Kaku, the Chief Astronomer and Planetarium Director for the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Derrick Pitts, and many other scientists, for its neutral, thoroughly-researched, serious investigative style.
- September 22, 2011. Stephen Bassett of the Paradigm Research Group posts a petition on White House’s new online petition site “We the People” for the Obama Administration to “formally acknowledge an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race– Disclosure,” and five days later reaches over the 5000 signature mark required to get an official response from the White House. Another petition is filed on the same day asking the Administration to “immediately disclose the government’s knowledge of and communications with extraterrestrial beings.”
- November 4, 2011. Phil Larson of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy responds to the above petitions: “The U.S. government has no evidence that any life exists outside our planet, or that an extraterrestrial presence has contacted or engaged any member of the human race. In addition, there is no credible information to suggest that any evidence is being hidden from the public’s eye.” 
- November 30, 2011. UFO historian Richard M. Dolan and Hollywood producer Bryce Zabel submit a petition on the White House “We the People” site, for the Obama Administration to “investigate unidentified aerial phenomena as reported by citizens, police, astronauts, pilots and the military.”
- December 1, 2011. Stephen Bassett of the Paradigm Research Group submits a second petition to the White House “We the People” site, which demands “a full congressional investigation of UFO/ET Disclosure efforts by the Clinton OSTP– the Rockefeller Initiative.”
- December 2011. NASA’s Kepler spacecraft mission confirms its first planet in the “habitable zone” of a sun-like star. Earlier this year (February), 54 planet candidates were reported to be in the “habitable zone,” the region around a star where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface and thus hypothetically be able to support alien life. Kepler-22b is the first to be confirmed as such a planet, using follow-up observations with ground-based telescopes and the Spitzer Space Telescope. NASA also reports in December that the Kepler mission has discovered 1094 more new planet candidates since February, bringing the total of planet candidates discovered to 2,326.
In summary, as seen from the public viewpoint, there were noteworthy meetings in the past two years among some of the world’s most influential leaders from various arenas– business, religious, and scientific– to discuss the unconventional topic of extraterrestrial contact. Note that the conversation has shifted from just ruminating on the possibility of contact, to discussing the practicalities of what to do if it is a reality—for example, recommending that world governments prepare for contact through mobilization of a responsible United Nations branch (The Royal Society), or starting to explore the idea of investment possibilities in extraterrestrial technology (Global Competitiveness Forum). This year, the United States finally released its UFO files to the public, lagging behind many other nations that declassified their UFO files and made them easily accessible to the public earlier in this millennium. A treaty acknowledging the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent civilizations and our need to maintain peace in the shared Cosmic space was written, which also outlined concrete steps for it be made into international law. The White House was formally presented with the opportunity to respond to the public about government involvement with extraterrestrial beings. Scientific discoveries this year have shown that it is more and more likely that we are not alone in the Universe.
Of course, although not specifically covered on the list, there continue to be more sightings of unidentified aerial phenomena– often simultaneously by large numbers of people– which seem to be on the rise. There continues to be the appearance of new crop circles all over the world. People who have held respectable leadership positions in the government and the military are continuing to step forward to talk publicly about their experiences validating the reality of intelligent extraterrestrial presence.