I’m unaccustomed to writing about vasanas and actually having readers ask questions about them. However, perhaps because we’re approaching 21/12/12, readers have actually asked questions about vasanas. I hope you’ll permit me to answer one that has come up.
A reader has suggested that she has vasanas and therefore she believes she will not ascend. I don’t believe that the common kinds of vasanas that most of us have will prevent our Ascension. What they may cause is for us to have a bumpier ride than otherwise.
Let me explain. I apologize that the explanation may be a little long and I encourage those not interested in the topic to move on to the next post, if you wish.
I’ve said on occasion, following the lead of Sri Ramana Maharshi, that Brahmajnana, the stage of enlightenment that occurs when the kundalini reaches the seventh or crown chakra, results in a temporary heart opening and does not constitute liberation. More to the point, it doesn’t see our vasanas permanently eliminated. (1)
I’ve also said, following the lead of the Divine Mother, that Sahaja Samadhi,which she has identified as the stage of enlightenment attained on Ascension (2) and which occurs when the kundalini reaches the spiritual heart or hridayam, past the crown chakra, results in a permanent heart opening and in liberation. (3) It does see our negative vasanas permanently eliminated.
Therefore there is no falling back from Sahaja, though there can be a falling back from Brahmajnana. When we fall back from Brahamjnana, it’s usually our vasanas that cause us to recede.
Based on that information, a reader has concluded that she will not ascend because she has vasanas and I can well understand how what I’ve said so far could lead her to that conclusion. But the conclusion, I’m convinced, is not accurate.
The attainment of enlightenment under the circumstances that have prevailed so far on this planet makes it very unlikely, very rare, that a person would attain Sahaja and much more likely that the farthest people would go is Brahmajnana and thus their vasanas could cause them to lose the experience of transcendent consciousness.
I’ve had numerous brief experiences of transcendent consciousness, all lost when my vasanas kicked in. None of these, I believe, constituted enlightenment. These experiences were nowhere near Brahmajnana but the same principle applies: my latent reaction patterns or vasanas are what closed down my experiences of expansion.
However in the circumstances that will soon prevail, many factors are combining to see that we’re introduced to an energy so powerful that it will carry us over Brahmajnana and on to Sahaja. If it does, then the resulting Ascension will eliminate our negative vasanas altogether. We’re told that our remaining karma will also be eliminated by the law of Grace. (4)
It isn’t that, if we don’t eliminate our vasanas, we won’t ascend. It’s that, if we don’t eliminate our vasanas, I believe that our passage through Ascension may be bumpier than otherwise. We can ascend with our vasanas but we may experience more vertigo, anxiety, etc.
The Company of Heaven following the Mother’s Divine Plan have seen to it that the force of light and love that will cause Ascension is enough to carry all those who welcome Ascension and have assimilated enough light to ascend through to the Fifth Dimension whether they have the normal vasanas that most of us have or not. (5)
In the case of Ascension, we’re getting the greatest help we could imagine and that will carry us over what, if we tried to cover the same territory by our own efforts alone, would be very difficult to attain. (6)
So I’m not suggesting that people need to eradicate their vasanas to ascend. They need not work with their vasanas at all (provided they are the normal kind that most of us have) and they could still ascend but the ascent may be a rougher ride than otherwise. As long as people are prepared for more vertigo and other ascension symptoms while making their ascent, then they need have no worry about having the normal type of vasanas and still ascending.
(1) “Only one who is free from all the latent tendencies (vasanas) is a Sage.” (Sri Ramana Maharshi, Spiritual Instruction of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi. Eighth Edition. Tiruvannamalai: Sri Ramanasramam, 1974, Chapter 2, Question 26.)
“Only after the samskaras [latent impressions]have been destroyed can one attain salvation [in our case, Ascension]. … Even though one practices kevala nirvikalpa samadhi [i.e., Brahmajnana] for years together, if one has not rooted out the vasanas, he will not attain salvation.” (Sri Ramana Maharshi in Ramananda Swarnagiri, Crumbs from His Table. http://www.ramana-maharshi.org. Downloaded 10 September 2005, n.p.)
(2) That conversation, which occurred on An Hour with an Angel, appears here:
Steve Beckow: I’m trying to understand what level of enlightenment Ascension corresponds to and I think it’s beyond the normal seventh-chakra enlightenment. I think it is what is called, and I will make this clear to readers, Sahaja Samadhi. Am I correct?
Divine Mother: Yes, it is beyond what you think of with your seven chakras. (“What Level of Enlightenment Does Ascension Correspond to?,” at http://goldenageofgaia.com/ascension/what-is-ascension/what-level-of-enlightenment-does-ascension-correspond-to/
(3) “[The] Heart [or hridayam] is the seat of Jnanam as well as of the granthi (knot of ignorance). It is represented in the physical body by a hole smaller than the smallest pin-point, which is always shut. When the mind drops down in Kevalya Nirvikalpa [samadhi], it opens but shuts again after it. When sahaja [nirvikalpa samadhi] is attained it opens for good.” (Ramana Maharshi in S.S. Cohen, Guru Ramana. Memories and Notes. 6th edition. Tiruvannamalai: Sri Ramanasramam, 1993, 96.) The Sahaja Nirvikalpa is permanent and in it lies liberation from rebirths. (Ramana Maharshi, GR, 88.)
(4) “We have previously mentioned that there is a Law of Grace that can be used to release you from Karma, and it will come into being more so as you approach the end time.” (SaluSa, March 7, 2012, at http://www.treeofthegoldenlight.com/First_Contact/Channeled_Messages_by_Mike_Quinsey.htm.) “When you ascend karma will have been cleared by you or ‘written off’ through the Law of Grace.” (SaLuSa, Aug. 3, 2011.) “Through the Law of Grace you can be allowed to forego karma, providing you have turned to the Light.” (SaLuSa, Dec. 11, 2009.)
(5) “The massive infusion of light from far distant sources seventy-some years ago enabled Earth to embark upon a journey back to life-sustaining balance – you know this journey as Ascension.” (Matthew’s Message, Nov. 20, 2012, at http://www.matthewbooks.com/mattsmessage.htm.) “The Light as ever continues to grow exponentially, and is carrying you forward faster than ever. It will meet its optimum level on the 21st. December 2012 and will trigger the Ascension of Mother Earth and all those souls that are ready to go with her.” (SaluSa, Oct. 19, 2012.)
(6) See “Will I Achieve Enlightenment Without Ascension, by My Own Efforts?” at http://goldenageofgaia.com/ascension/what-is-ascension/will-i-achieve-enlightenment-without-ascension-by-my-own-efforts/